Tin cans from the abandoned Ironton Townsite in the Red Mountain mining district outside of Ouray, CO.
Founded in 1883 at 9,800 feet elevation, Ironton Townsite is located at the north end of the Red Mountain Mining District. It was an extremely wealthy town, important as a transportation junction and a stage and supply center. The water in this area contained sulphuric acid, which ate up the metal machinery used in the mines. This was the main factor that lead to the closing of this area’s mines. Population was between 800 and 1,000. This included mines and boarding houses in outlying areas. Several buildings are still standing. Through a grant providing funds for stabilization, the Red Mountain Project is currently stabilizing two of the three houses left standing in what was once the town of Ironton.
[click through for full resolution!]